Click for dates & cost
MOUNTAIN TRAINING REGISTRATION
READ OUR REVIEWS
Everyone who wishes to attend a Rock Climbing Instructor course must be registered with Mountain Training and also a member of the British Mountaineering Council. Visit the database and follow these steps:
• Create an account (or login if you already have an account)
• Register for the Rock Climbing Instructor (£45)
• Join the British Mountaineering Council (under the membership section - cheaper on direct debit)
• Start to enter your past climbing experience into DLOG.
The training course is a fantastic 3 days (24 hours), one of which is spent at a climbing wall and the others out and about on the crags. The days are run from approx 9-5pm each day.
The course follows the Rock Climbing Instructor syllabus which includes:
• Equipment and anchors
• Belaying and personal skills
• Abseiling and background knowledge
• Planning and organising
• Management of participants
• Decision making and personal safety
• Knowledge and demonstration of techniques
• Managing/supervising other staff
• Access and conservation
• Etiquette and ethics
To attend the training course, you need to have the following requirements:
• Must be registered for the Rock Climbing Instructor scheme with Mountain Training
• Led 15 trad climbs
• Led 15 routes at a climbing wall
• Led 5 sports routes
OUTDOOR ONLY TRAINING
If you have already completed your Climbing Wall Award / Climbing Wall Instructor training course then you are eligible to attend an outdoor only Rock Climbing Instructor training course which is reduced from 3 days to 2. You will still need to register for the Rock Climbing Instructor scheme with Mountain Training and fulfil the requirements listed above.
BEFORE YOU BOOK ONTO A ROCK CLIMBING INSTRUCTOR COURSE:
• You must be registered on the scheme.
You must have an up to date logbook (preferably DLOG) with evidence of the following:
• 15 led routes which must be graded rock climbs with traditional protection.
• 15 led routes at a climbing wall.
• 5 led routes which must be outdoor bolt protected sport climbs.